Thursday, April 1, 2010

washing feet?


Once at an all night prayer meeting, I had this crazy urge to go to one of the leaders, to remove his shoes and socks and to wash his feet. It sounded crazy, but at the same time I knew I was suppose to do it.

1st I had to find a container to hold the water – I found a small empty waste basket- and then something to dry his feet with- there were some paper napkins on a table. I was a hesitant, more than a little uneasy but forced myself to step out and wash his feet for I knew I was suppose to do it.

You have had times like that haven’t you? Times when you just knew you were suppose to do something. Ephesians 2:10 tells us that GOD has prepared specific things for us to do

Years later, GOD confirmed HE had nudged me that night when I was reading an article in a magazine by that leader. He spoke of what had happened (not mentioning names) and how he fought within himself to let me do it. (Something I had not been aware of) But he went on to say that GOD used it to speak to him about his need to humble himself and put away his pride. Our simple obedience to those nudges from GOD can have a ripple effect of motivating others to be obedient.

John 13:1-17 Before the Passover celebration, JESUS knew HIS time had come to leave this world and returned to HIS FATHER in heaven. This would be his last evening with all HIS disciples on earth and it was time for supper. HE wanted to show HIS disciples the full extent of HIS love.

Knowing that the FATHER had given HIM authority over everything and that HE had come from GOD and was going back to GOD, HE got up from the table took off HIS robe, wrapped a towel around HIS waist and poured water into a basin. Then HE began to wash HIS disciples feet and wipe them with the towel HE had around HIM. (It was the job of the lowest slave to wash the feet of guests.)

When HE got to Simon Peter, Peter said, “Why are YOU going to wash my feet?”
JESUS replied, “You don’t understand now, why I am doing it; someday you will.”
“NO!” Peter protested, “YOU will never wash my feet!”
JESUS replied, ‘But if I don’t wash you, you won’t belong to ME”
“Then wash all of me, my hands and head as well!” Peter exclaimed.
JESUS responded, “A person who has bathed all over does not need to wash, except for the feet to be entirely clean. And you are clean (cleansed by the word I have spoken to you John 15:3) but that isn’t true of everyone here.” JESUS meant Judas.

After JESUS washed their feet HE said, “You call me Teacher and LORD and you are right because it is true. Since I, your Teacher have washed your feet, you ought to humble yourselves and wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow.. you know these things- now do them! That is a path of blessing

What did JESUS do that day? HE met the basic need of washing the hot and dirty feet of men who walked with HIM.

How can you meet the needs of those you walk with to refresh and encourage them?
Go with the nudges, GOD places in your heart. Do that which you know you should do even when it doesn’t make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment